Monday, February 16, 2015

Student {CO} Teaching

This semester is FLYING by!

Not only am I involved in finishing up my internship for my master's program, but I also have a student teacher. Wait, not a "student teacher" a "co-teacher." The University where she's graduating from (which just so happens to be my alma mater and current grad school) is adopting the Co-Teaching model. 



When I learned I was getting a student teacher, my mind flashed back to my semester as a student teacher. How I gradually gained the trust of my district supervisor in order to earn lessons and MAP prep lessons. I took over subjects and lessons a week at a time, taking control slowly and then releasing the classroom back to my mentor.

All that has changed.
They want co-teachers to be fully immersed into the classroom immediately. Teaching and working with students as soon as their semester starts.

I have found this to be quite challenging. 
For me, I learn best from observing. Watching and taking notes, reflecting on what I have seen & heard and deciding if I liked it, if I wanted to use any of it, or if I thought that I could do better.
And I always wanted to do better.

When you are co-teaching, there isn't a lot of chance for you as the supervisor to observe your teacher-candidate, or for them to observe you. The roles aren't nearly as clear - which I guess is really the point, however I fear that it makes for a less structured and less beneficial "co-teaching" experience.

And I know that people will say: "the experience is what you make of it" ... and it is!
We are incredibly lucky to teach in a departmentalized elementary (2-4) so I am able to model lessons or parts of lessons while she observes, and then attempts; I can give her pointers and then she attempts again. She can also teach/I can take notes and give them to her, and she can adjust the lesson for the next group. She can teach while I pull a small group or individual over to re-do or re-teach.

There are many benefits. And I don't down-play those.
It is a huge responsibility to teach a brand new teacher how to teach.

I think in the beginning, she was on brain drain over-load.
I explained EVERYTHING. The papers I was carrying, the mailboxes, the different math books, the copier, the girl walking down the hall, how I register for PD, that I was going to the bathroom and she might think about doing the same.
She left the first couple weeks exhausted!
As she should. haha

Any tips for a co-teacher?
Any tips for a student teacher?
Any ways to keep them motivated? 

No comments:

Post a Comment