Friday, January 3, 2014

Professional Development

Today our district participated in Active Intruder Training. I have always participated in "lock-down" drills through my district. But never have I actually been formally trained. Today we were made to think about some things that were uncomfortable, stressful, and also made to think differently. I have always thought "what if" in my teaching career; because I have just recently become a teacher, Columbine occurred when I was in fifth grade, VA Tech when I was a freshman in college, and Sandy Hook most recently. 

But today we were made to think differently. I always thought that I would be able to think on my feet. That I would know exactly which resources to utilize in my classroom if the situation arose, and would be able to do so. But today I was brought to the realization that I don't have all the answers, and that there is always more to be learned. I have always thought "what if" but I'm glad today we practiced a few things to take some of the anxiety away. 

I know that most of the country is under a winter storm, we here in Missouri are expecting -30 degree temperatures in the next few days! I just can't even imagine!

I'm watching my Mizzou Tigers (hopefully win) the Cotton Bowl tonight so I thought I would leave you with a little inspiration as we all get ready to go back to school for the next semester: I had to watch this video for one of my graduate classes this summer and I love it! It is one of the most inspirational "teacher-y" videos that I have ever seen!

Dalton Sherman's inspiring back-to-school speech 

No comments:

Post a Comment