Friday, January 31, 2014

The Perfect Storm


Teachers have a special power.
{besides the obvious} 
We know when the weather is going to change. We also know when there is going to be a full moon. With the behavior of my students, I knew something was in the works. 

Well, by 1PM it was raining, and we were getting messages that it was freezing and making it very slick and unsafe. Well, we got the kids out and then went out like a small army and started scraping our cars together. It was so heart warming to see all of us helping each other scrape the parking lot full of cars. Everyone had sincere concern for each other and worry for each others' safety. 

Then when I got home, I found out that there is a super moon outside. Which is like a Full Moon but bigger. And closer. And crazier. 

So, of course my students couldn't focus or pay attention or do their work or listen to me or ... anything! 

Needless to say, I am glad it's the weekend. Even though I know I just get two days and then it's back to "the grind"

Also: I'm working on a set of cards for our calendar set. We are currently using Calendar Math; but I find myself without direction on certain parts, and those are some of the most important parts.
What I'm working on will help us be a little more focused when it comes to the "coin counter" aspect. Calendar Math gives you a card with an item on it that is blank for the price. That makes it really hard for me to stand up there and think "well, this month we're talking about quarters, what's the best way to make them think about using quarters and handle change..."

It's just too much.

So I thought I would take month by month and make some word problems so that you could just flip through them without a whole lot of problem. Our district has also taken out the Money Chapter in our actual pacing guide, so we have to be sure to teach money really well during calendar time. (eek!)

Have a great weekend, stay warm, watch the super bowl, & Hopefully we get good news from that groundhog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment