Thursday, February 13, 2014

Conferences

Well, we just finished our "spring" conferences. And let me tell you if there was ever a down to the last minute sort of feeling, these conferences were it. We had six snow days going into them, so we barely got the conferences scheduled with the parents before coming back to school from the "snow break." Just a mess. However, by some marvelous intervention, I only had two kids not show up for their conference so that is a major positive! 

Since our conferences were at mid-term this year, I basically just showed how much growth they have made since the beginning of the school year, what their goal is for the end of the year and how much time they have left to accomplish that goal. We talked a little about expectations for third grade and any areas of concern. Most parents with concerns we are in contact with on a regular basis, so they are in the know already. 

With our newly adopted math curriculum, we have had a problem with new kids moving into our building and not having the background knowledge that our kiddos do. That was a big topic of concern tonight at conferences. What our plan would be to get these particular kids 'back up to snuff' so to say. It can be frustrating as a parent to see that you child has just flat out missed concepts and we as a district aren't slowing down! I have had to think about this, and so far I haven't come up with a prominent solution.

I know other teachers will sympathize with me when I say "I'm glad they are over!" ... I became a teacher so that I could talk to kids all day. Not so that I could chat with adults. Adults are not my forte, for sure! I'd rather hang out at the kids table and color and read books! ;) 

Because conferences are over and because tomorrow's Valentine's Day, I'm going to throw a SALE in my store! EVERYTHING is 15% off!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment